Monday, December 2, 2013

Okay, so it's a little late in the year for this...


...but I don't care. :P I started this painting on Dia de los Muertos, so I only now finished it.  At this schedule, you can expect Christmas illustrations from me around Groundhog Day, and St. Patrick's Day ones toward the beginning of summer.

"La Calavera Caterina" (meaning "the elegant skull") is an icon associated with Day of the Dead.  Here in Arizona, if you go into any Southwestern-themed gift shop or store, you'll find lots of little figurines of skeletons wearing different kinds of clothes doing different things.

I tried some new digital painting techniques with this one...I like it!  I mean, I'm not going to give up my acrylics any time soon, but I would like to make more forays into the digital world every so often.  I have tons of half-done pieces in Illustrator right now too, which I could probably finish and post.

Oh yeah, and this and other pieces are up on my site now!

No comments: